“Ahhhhh….” Why do doctors stick a tongue depressor in our mouth, hold our tongue down and then ask us questions and expect us to clearly communicate? Seriously though, today, I’d like to write to you from a different perspective – by taking a test; a spiritual temperature test.
I had read this in a book written by Stephen and Alex Kendrick as a followup to the movie “War Room”. This test was taken and adapted from a book by Nancy Lee DeMoss, but I believe it originated here:
Revelation 3:14-16 “And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.”
There are 16 simple questions, but I will warn you… you WILL be convicted!
- Does your spiritual life feel joyless and apathetic?
- Is your love for God and service for Him not as fervent as it once was?
- Do you have at least one unconfessed sin that you need to repent of?
- Is there at least one person that has wronged you and you refuse to forgive them?
- Are the words of your mouth displeasing to God and dishonorable to others?
- Is there evidence of God’s power in your life and have you seen answered prayer recently?
- Do you have time for entertainment and amusement and not for Bible study and prayer?
- Do you let pride, worry and fear stop you from obeying what God has told you?
- Does your family see you behave one way at church and another way at home?
- Are you viewing and enjoying things that you know are unholy and displeasing to God?
- Do you know of someone who has things against you and you refuse to reconcile with them?
- Is your worship casual and your singing halfhearted?
- Is your giving reluctant and calculated instead of extravagant and sacrificial?
- Do others have to beg you to serve?
- Are you unresponsive to the neighbors, coworkers, and friends around you who will likely die without Christ, and do you make little to no effort to share your faith with them?
- Are you blind to your spiritual condition and think you don’t need to repent or change anything?
Revelation 3:17-19 “Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.”
If you and I answered “Yes” to any of these questions, it ought to be a serious warning that confession and repentance needs to take place and something seriously needs to change.
I have learned that the love of Christ that calls us also convicts in times like these to bring about holiness and an extreme closeness because we desire purity and cleanness. To accept anything less is compromise with the devil.